Why you’re not a social media guru / expert / architect whateverPosted by Gary on Feb 9, 2011 | 38 comments
I wont beat around the bush, once again it’s time for a bit more expert & guru bashing. I need a release and a few new thoughts and observations have come to me that I want to share.
So on with the bashing. When it comes to pseudo wannabes there are 2 categories. The bandwagon jumpers and the plain stupid. Both can be found on twitter and without having to read their tweets, you just know by a quick read of their bio which category they fall into.
The bio’s never cease to make me laugh. Here’s the best SoMe expert one I’ve ever had “Bio: Physician and social media expert”, ‘and’, ‘AND’??
So here’s a few thoughts:
You think your a social media expert (SoMe from here in , acronym kindly ‘borrowed’ from Ann Hawkins) because you’re signed up with Facebook, Twitter AND linked in, oh and you do the odd blog post.
No that’s called normality these days, nothing special about that.
You have added a fancy noun after the words ‘Social Media’ in your bio that self proclaims your awesomeness. To name but a few: Expert, guru, architect, evangelist (one of my personal favourites), pioneer, explorer, mentor, artist, engineer, wizard, shark, authority, specialist, sage, scholar and the list goes on…
No that’s what you’re calling yourself not what others are calling you. If you have to tell others that’s what you are rather than proving it then get a grip you’re a bandwagon jumper and nothing more!
You’re a SoMe expert because you’re nice to people and people like you.
No that’s called being human. I don’t think being human has ever been a specialism (although plenty fail at simply being nice)
You’re a SoMe expert because you work in marketing.
Sure that makes perfect sense just like farmers are experts in small garden landscaping?
Definitely an expert if…
However you are definitely a SoMe expert if…
- You don’t practice what you preach.
- You’re followed by 20,000 people…. and you follow 25,000.
- You’re twitter follow auto reply has a link to your blog in it, nothing else mind just the link.
- You don’t come up with any original content and retweet tweets from respectable experts from further up the food chain, often.
- You’ve switched your comments facility off on your blog, that will teach those crazy spammers!
- You’ve set up a facebook page but never updated it.
- Your Klout score is THE most important thing EVER!
- Your family, 3 random school friends and your pet dog are your only fans.
- No one has ever recommended you. Well when I say ‘no one’ of course your family, 3 random school friends and your pet dog has.
- You once were an SEO expert but hey that’s so 2008 and no one needs SEO any more.
- You were mighty relieved when Google buzz came out because the work was drying up and Quora should see you through to Christmas.
Well I always think it’s better to give than to receive so there’s my opinion, free to you.
As ever comments are welcome
- Social media is dead, long live social media.
- Preaching to the converted
- Tweetboard – Good idea, bad idea or ugly idea?
- Is Twitter making the world smaller?
- The foursquare backlash